Sunday, June 5, 2011

My Best Friend's Wedding

My very first best friend was Walter Crosby. Wiley, Diane, Adam, and Walt Crosby lived across the street from my family in Hazlehurst. Walt and I are the same age and my brother Mark is the same age as Adam. I am told that as soon as I could hold my brother's hand and walk across the street, I spent most of my time at the Crosby's house. Walt and I were like "peas and carrots". I can remember many afternoons of flipping Mrs. Diane's coffee table upside down and using it as a train for all of Walt's stuffed animals. Every Christmas we watched How the Grinch Stole Christmas and A Charlie Brown Christmas with a HUGE tin of 3 different flavors of popcorn. There was also a time or two when we were investigating wall sockets and we probably gave Mrs. Diane a heart attack (my dreams of being an electrician started early folks ;)

Walt and I also had a secret language - or so I'm told. We had gotten old enough to talk by this time, but Walt was not speaking in "English". He would ask his mom for something. Then Mrs. Diane would turn to me and say, "Emily, what is he saying?" I would reply, "Well, he wants tea and cookies." And give her this look like, you didn't get that? So one day while Mrs. Diane and Walt were going somewhere together, she told him that she was going to take him to see a doctor if he didn't start speaking clearly. Immediately he responded with a voice as clear as a bell, "Mom, I can talk." And that was the end of it.

Eventually we all ended up moving away from Hazlehurst, but we have stayed in touch. I lived with them in Forsyth when I cooped at Plant Scherer in 2003. And loved signing in the choir with them at the First Baptist Church of Forsyth.

A quick plug, the Crosby's own Red Dog. It is a public safety outfitters store near the GPSTC training center right off I75 in Forsyth. So if you know of any public safety people, have them stop by and take a look around after their training!

My parents, Bo, the girls, and I had the privileged of celebrating Walt and Brandi's big day on July 5th. The wedding and reception was at the Bluff, near Brunswick. It was HOT, but absolutely gorgeous and a lot of fun!!













We are so excited for Walt and Brandi! We wish you many blessings for your new life as a married couple!!

0 comments:

 
Template by www.yummylolly.com