Thinking back on the second trimester, I have to say it was my favorite! This was the trimester that my nausea tapered off and we felt our little angel for the first time. Not to mention we finally got to tell everyone about our sweet baby to be!!
At thirteen weeks, we went to see Dr. Roseman in Athens. We wanted them do the quadscreen - a much more detailed ultrasound than the first two - that would also screen for down syndrome. We would never dream of terminating a pregnancy, but we just wanted as much time to get prepared for any other surprises that may have been in store! First, they soaked a card with some of my blood and then they measured the thickness of the skin on the back of the baby's neck. Of course they couldn't get the baby in the exact position they needed, but overall everything looked good!
At fourteen weeks (also Mother's day), we finally got to share the news with Pop and Gran. Justin and Marianna were getting married the day before Mother's day, so we decided we would try to hold off to tell Gran on Mother's day that she was going to be a great grandmother. Not only to make it a very special mother's day, but to let the wedding festivities be the center of attention! So we decided that we would let Gran's gift tell our news. We framed the ultrasound picture in a small baby chick shaped frame that said "tweet baby". It was perfect! Gran was SO surprised and then she just couldn't stop smiling :D Since we were still at the hotel and so were many other guests, Ms. Sandra could not help but share the news. She ran up to Mrs. Debbie and said "I'm gonna be a grandma, I'm gonna be a grandma!" Mrs. Debbie said, "Awe man, I really thought Marianna was going to wait" :)
At sixteen weeks, I finally told my boss we were expecting. And then I immediately bought my first pair of pregnancy pants! :) I had not been able to button my pants for a few weeks, but I held them together with a hair band until I could wear preggo clothes to work. My boss did share a comment that his wife made after seeing our group picture taken the Friday before. She said, "Emily has put on a little weight since the wedding." You could tell she was thinking maybe I was pregnant, but the thought never occurred to my boss. Funny how women "know" before they are told!
Another vivid memory I have was after a dinner date with Amy at Olive Garden. We went just for the endless soup, salad, and breadsticks. This was an all time favorite of course! But after our lovely meal, I made it back to Scott and Elizabeth's just in time for the breadsticks to explode in my stomach. I felt like it was going to burst open. I was dying on the couch and amusing Scott all at the same time :) Note to self: no more Olive Garden or it could be the end of me!
Baby Lane turned into Princess Lane during week 18 for us! We saw Dr. Roseman again and they showed us the three white lines telling us "it" was a "she" and the nurse told Bo to get his wallet ready :) This was the coolest ultrasound yet! We saw all the parts of her brain, her kidneys, lungs, liver, and the coolest part was seeing the cross between the four chambers of her heart!
I remember the first time I was sure I felt Emma Catherine move. It was about 20 weeks and we were visiting my sister Debbie and family. My mom and dad had also come up for the weekend. My mom and I were sitting on the couch and she asked if I had felt the baby move yet. I told her I thought so, but I just wasn't sure. So she just start poking my poochy tummy and then she said "Did you feel that? That was her, oh and now this is a contraction." It was AMAZING! After that I could feel my little one moving all the time. It was like having this little companion where ever I went. The best times were during the morning drive to work. I would just feel her kicking with the music the whole way to work!
0 comments:
Post a Comment