Two people have sent me this article link recently. I really liked it the first time I read it and I have been thinking more about it since our last hospital trip with Annabelle. When we checked in, the lady taking her name commented that she was "so beautiful" and that we "needed to keep having babies because you just don't see pretty babies any more".
Everywhere we go with the girls at least one person comments on how beautiful they are on the outside. I do mean EVERY single time we are out in public even if it is just a 5 minute run in and out of Kroger. Tonight we went out with my parents and ALL the waitresses in the restuarant were huddled over by the drink stand (8 feet away) commenting on how cute AB was and then one said, "Just wait until you see her big sister over there in the blue dress." Then you hear a whispered eruption of "Awe, how cute!".
Don't get me wrong, I do love to hear that my girls are beautiful. And of course, I think they are the most beautiful little girls in the world. But when you are trying to teach a three year old that there is more to being beautiful than wearing "beautiful dresses" and having beautiful blonde curly hair, it is NOT easy in this world.
So give the article a quick read. It may change how you speak to little girls.
And yes, it is still okay to let them know they are beautiful, just don't let that be the only topic of your conversation =)
0 comments:
Post a Comment